Do you know a middle or high school student who is interested in starting their own business- but has no idea on how to get the ball rolling? If so we're here to help them get their ideas off the ground and into motion.
The Young Entrepreneurs Academy - YEA! - at MRA Education Foundation is currently accepting nominations and applications for the upcoming academic year. Applications are accepted, and student interviews are conducted on a rolling basis. YEA! will grant admission to a maximum of twenty four students annually.
For more information, and an application, contact Nikki Lewis or call 419-522-3211.
More about YEA!
The Richland Area Chamber of Commerce is thrilled to once again bring Young Entrepreneurs Academy to Richland County. YEA! teaches students in grades 6-12 how to start and run their own REAL businesses.
A bit of background…
YEA! was developed at the University of Rochester in 2004 with the support of a grant from the Kauffman Foundation. In 2015, the Richland Chamber Foundation began the program right here in Richland County.
YEA! guides middle and high school students through the process of starting and running a legitimate business or social movement over the course of a full academic year. YEA! has graduated hundreds of students since 2004, who have started well over 3,000 businesses and social movements! Kids start as students, and graduate as CEOs!
Over the course of the program students:
- Brainstorm business ideas
- Write a business plan
- Interact with business professionals
- Pitch their business plan to potential “investors” (think Shark Tank meets the Apprentice meets American Idol)
- Obtain funding
- Legally register their businesses
- Participate in a Trade Show
- Actually launch their own businesses or social movements
YEA! offers students the chance to:
- Develop the skills necessary to launch their own business or social movement (hands-on entrepreneurial experience!)
- Learn about real businesses - why they succeed or fail.
- Hear from local entrepreneurs.
- Launch their own business or social movement!
- Become more confident in their ideas and their abilities.
How business professionals can get involved…
Through their interactions with business professionals during the year, YEA! students gain some of the most important knowledge and experience they need to succeed. Local professionals volunteer their time and expertise as guest speakers, mentors, investors, graphic designers, field trip hosts, business plan reviewers, and much more. The time YEA! students spend with adults who encourage their futures is invaluable, and participants often report getting even more out of their participation than they put in to it!
YEA! is held at a central location in Richland County campus every Tuesday from 4:00pm to 7:00pm, beginning in October and ending in April.
YEA can now be found in over 110 locations! Again, for more information call 419-522-3211, or contact Nikki Lewis.